With passion for bikes – since 1893.
The first chain-driven bicycle had just appeared on the market when Wilhelm Wippermann in Hagen, Germany, began producing bike parts. The legendary trigger: when his son’s bicycle chain broke yet again, Wilhelm Wippermann was convinced that there was a better way to do things. He decided to develop a chain himself – and thus laid the foundation for one of the oldest brands in the bicycle industry in 1893.
During the next 60 years, successful chain models such as the legendary ”Weiss-Stern“ and further equipment – pedals, brakes and spokes were developed. The small Hagen-based company grew rapidly to become the largest chain and pedal factory in Europe.
In the 1920s, Wilhelm Wippermann Jr., the founder's son, expanded the company in the industrial sector and further targeted development of the company's expertise – with great success. To this day, the family enterprise drives intensively forward the two business segments.
Since the 1990s, Connex has established itself worldwide as a brand for bicycle chains. Under this name, the legendary Connex Link was developed as well, a perfect example for our continuous effort to produce the best bicycle components.